Monday 30 May 2011

Welcome to the RCGP Adolescent Health Group Chair's Blog

Welcome to everybody reading this newly launched blog.
My intention is to keep you posted on the activities of the RCGP Adolescent Health Group (AHG) as they occur and to invite your participation.

Young people's health has to be  a key priority  in primary care as we nurture the next generation, promoting their healthy development into the resourceful individuals we will need them to be. Adolescence has always been, and will always be, a time of transition, of new and exciting opportunities but also of uncertainty and challenge.
I believe there is much we can foster in General Practice to support young people's healthy development and the RCGP Adolescent Health Group can play an important role as advocate. The group has a long history of supporting practice's wanting to offer youth-friendly care and we are currently working on a number of initiatives; steered by Dick Churchill our past Chair.

 I would like to thank Dick for his long commitment to the group and for the legacy he leaves. I will continue to keep you posted on the progress of the initiatives which include the provision of  new teaching material and guidance re confidentiality in consultations.

I look forward to leading the group into the next phase of its history and welcome your support.

Best wishes

Jane Roberts

2 comments:

  1. Well done Jane on being elected chair.
    Following a blog is the closest to a 'teenage' activity I have done in years. I just need a tutorial on using Facebook and Twitter and then I will have a vague understanding of how young people communicate today!
    There are many pressing matters relating to Adolescent Health for the group to discuss, so I am looking forward to the next meeting in September. For example, the impact of commissioning adolescent services may be something we need to take a view on, plus the need for more volunteers to act as Expert Resources for the RCGP when adolescent health-related documents are circulated for comments by NICE.
    Now that the college's new structure is clearer and CIRC are forging better relationships with special interest groups, I hope we can develop strong links with other people who are also working in our area, such as the Clinical Champion for Child Health and the CC for Social Exclusion.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope we are able to find a genuine way to honour Ann's memory. She inspired me more than anyone else in my career and was responsible for much of the medical direction I have followed. She was a truly great GP and I shall miss her tremendous energy, drive and warmth.

    ReplyDelete